The Harrison Studio consists of Helen Mayer Harrison (born 1929) and Newton Harrison (born 1932). Often simply referred to as “The Harrisons”, the husband and wife team are leading pioneers of the eco-art movement. For nearly fifty years, the Harrisons have produced work across a vast range of disciplines, working in collaboration with biologists, ecologists, historians, activists, architects, urban planners and fellow artists to initiate dialogues and create works exploring biodiversity and community development. Helen and Newton Harrison are both Professors Emeriti at University of California, Santa Cruz, and University of California, San Diego.
During their prolific career, the Harrisons have been the subject of over 100 solo exhibitions, and have been included in over 250 group exhibitions. They have shown work at the 1976 and 1980 Venice Biennales; documenta 8 (1987); the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, CA; The Whitney Museum of American Art, NY; Museum of Modern Art, NY; The Tate, London; Museum of Contemporary Art Los Angeles, CA; The Hirshhorn Museum, Washington, DC; Cooper Hewitt Museum, NY; Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, IL; PS1, NY; Berkeley Art Museum, CA; Boston Museum of Fine Arts, MA; Museum of Modern Art San Francisco, CA; Kunstmuseum Bonn, Germany; and Kunstverein Hamburg, Germany. Works by the Harrisons are included in many major permanent collections including the Centre Pompidou, Paris, France; The Museum of Modern Art, NY; the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles, CA; and the Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, IL.
The Harrisons live and work in Santa Cruz, California.